Let’s make sure this is perfectly clear…..
The original photo:
Obvious microphone parts pointed out:
It appears to me that the mid-section was wrapped in fabric, tissues, or something else to make it less obvious that it was a microphone handle… but even that is odd, since it’s narrower at the edges of the wrapping and then fatter in the middle — not shaped like any anatomical protuberance I’ve ever seen (but then again I’m no expert).
This entire story is frightening for many reasons. Many of them not what someone might expect.
1. That someone would do this in the first place…. the amount of time and effort put into trying to wreck another human being’s life and reputation is truly scary and obscene — and I hope whoever is responsible for sending the photo gets nailed, and nailed HARD (sorry, couldn’t resist). If there are criminal charges that could lead to jail time — good. If he can sue and wipe them out financially — also good. If both happen — even better.
2. How many people looked at that photo and saw what they were TOLD was there, instead of what was there? I took one glance at that photo and immediately thought “why the heck would someone stick a microphone in their shorts and take a picture of it? ” Are we really so far gone into assumptions about anything that we knee-jerk respond to thinking we SEE something based on what we were pre-told it was, instead of what is actually there? If that’s true, then we’re screwed. We’re screwed beyond all belief if the vast majority of us are truly so easily manipulated at this point that they “look” at and react to things without even seeing them.
3. How many media people (who damn well should recognize a freaking MICROPHONE when they see one), also only “saw” what they had heard was there? Aren’t reporters supposed to have better skills of observation than that? Aren’t they supposed to have some analytical skills? Aren’t they supposed to be smarter than that? Are these REALLY the people we’re getting our “information” from? People who because they’re told something is something don’t even bother to LOOK and see if that’s really what’s there before passing it on? If we’re supposed to be depending on these people to inform us — we’re screwed.
4. With all that’s REAL in this World: We’re at war in 2 countries. We have politicians in this country who’ve declared war on this country while at the same time shouting how “patriotic and God-fearing” they are. We have legislators in various parts of the country trying to impede citizens ability to vote, and basic human rights for women and a bunch of lunatics who even though every indicator is that we’re crawling out of that hole we’ve been in are still screaming that things are worse. There’s that whole believing what you’re told something is, instead of actually LOOKING at it thing again.
5. A series of natural disasters has left millions of people in dire circumstances both in this country and abroad.
All that actually MATTERS in this World, and in this country — and we’re focused on THIS?….. THIS?!?!?!?! Good grief, the whole situation isn’t even real… maybe that’s why it’s so easy to focus on it, instead of all the truly scary things that ARE in fact real. Is it that we’re too wimpy to seriously look at the other stuff, or that we’re too lazy to — because if we acknowledge all the other stuff, we might have to get off our asses and DO something about them?
There’s nothing to “do” with this, other than sit in our armchairs, bitch, moan, argue and spew stupidity…. hell of a lot easier than looking for ways to send food, clothing, etc. to tornado victims, campaign for women’s rights, or do anything else that’s truly substantial.
Then again — I’m doing WHAT right at this moment? So I need to get off the chaise and sort through my clothes and find someone to donate them to so that people who lost everything they had can have what I don’t need anyway at least…… maybe if enough others do the same, for them at least, it might just make a difference.
In the meantime, here’s a google link to a search for donating supplies to storm victims — if anyone is interested.